Went to Alexandra Palace Farmers Market at the weekend (it’s on every Sunday) and had one of these. It’s called a Bokit and it is apparently known as a creole burger.
Its a pretty good example of a simple food which adds up to more than the sum of it’s parts. It consists of a basic dough rolled out flat and deep fried quickly so it puffs up forming a crunchy crust on the outside and a hollow inside. It is then filled with a bit of chilli sauce (chilli, spring onions, garlic and lime), lettuce, chopped tomato and filling (I had salt fish, but chicken or stewed aubergine was also available).
Sounds like something you might knock together on a Saturday lunchtime when the fridge is near empty. Ok, maybe not the deep fried dough and saltfish, but the point is they are very simple ingredients, and few of them. I have had cripplingly dissappointing sandwiches made of similar, usually the result of post cookery show culinary arousal, frustrated by a near empty cupboard.
But these work. The simple ingredients add up to a pitch perfect summer snack. I personally like to throw everything in when I am cooking, drowning out all subtlety in a barrage of spices added on a whim (I am not a kitchen maverick, just immature in the palate and patience dept.). I have the upmost respect for people who can keep it simple, having the confidence in that magic combination of a few good ingredients, that they know will work together.
See you in the queue.
- shineor likes this
- sarah-fleischer reblogged this from madeinguadeloupe
- mayoococo likes this
- imnotasuper-model likes this
- nrwtb likes this
- cutefunsized likes this
- icecreamandchicken likes this
- popularpugh reblogged this from epitomeofkaydane
- strictly-unique likes this
- strictly-unique reblogged this from epitomeofkaydane
- jeezydidit likes this
- dreamyeverlasting reblogged this from epitomeofkaydane
- dreamyeverlasting likes this
- shawdyduwop likes this
- highoffriva reblogged this from epitomeofkaydane
- elreydelmar likes this
- ron-luvs-beauty likes this
- onelovecarib reblogged this from madeinguadeloupe
- epitomeofkaydane reblogged this from madeinguadeloupe
- criesmonnom likes this
- madeinguadeloupe reblogged this from scowley
- acubien likes this
- djidaone likes this
- empressdae likes this
- ggyurp reblogged this from scowley and added:
- antheaasson reblogged this from triniguychadychads and added:
- antheaasson likes this
- cuntrybwaay reblogged this from caribbeanmassive
- biggbaddjugglers likes this
- lila-the-scientist reblogged this from scowley
- lickthestamp likes this
- lust-thrust reblogged this from caribbeanmassive
- triniguychadychads reblogged this from caribbeanmassive
- rotipizza likes this
- coastalshelf likes this
- scowley posted this